Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question about reserving tape drive for restore - a better way?

2000-02-23 10:54:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question about reserving tape drive for restore - a better way?
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:54:51 -0600
According to the docs, in order to reserve a tape drive for restore, I can
create a separate storage unit, and then not make it available for backups.
Unfortunately, I don't think this is a good solution.

1. I have all my backup classes set to use any available storage unit. This
allows me to let the software do all the scheduling, load balancing, etc.

2. If I don't do #1, then I'm forced to manually allocated
classes/clients/schedules to individual storage units, which defeats the whole
purpose.

Has anyone come up with a better solution to this problem?  I would entertain
wild ideas about making another master server and moving tapes to it when
forced to do a restore while the other storage units are busy, but this seems
needlessly complicated.

Recommendations?

Thanks.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A