Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cannot get bound socket error

2000-02-07 10:37:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cannot get bound socket error
From: Paul Weaver paulw AT stratech DOT com
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 10:37:52 -0500
David,
    I have seen this error before.  Veritas has had 3 recommendations to try to
resolve this that they had mentioned to me, but
nothing definitive.
    1) make sure the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpdbm.lock, bpdbm_child/, and
bpdbm_parent/, file and directories exist.  It appears
to be that a bpdbm process that is starting up thinks it may be a "parent" or
primary bpdbm process and can not get the port because
another it already running.
    2) if the system is heavily used, try decrease the tcp_close_wait_interval
using ndd.  Sun defaults to 4 minutes and Veritas
recommends changing it to 1 second.  I have set it to about 10 seconds.  This
is the time a socket/tcp_port remains open after it
has received a signal to close the port.  This is to allow any out of sequence
packets that may arrive after the close signal to be
processed (from what I am told).  This can be changed at system boot by adding
the ndd statement to /etc/rc2.d/S69inet or some other
startup file.
    3) check swap space usage.

    The only one of the above I have done is #2 because #1 and #3 haven't
applied to us.  I am not getting the errors.  However, I
usually only see them after the system has been running for a long while,
usually several weeks, so I am not sure if #2 has fixed it
or not.

Paul Weaver
Strategic Technologies