Networker

Re: [Networker] Change in name and scope of this list

2013-09-13 14:39:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Change in name and scope of this list
From: "Clark, Patricia A." <clarkpa AT ORNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:34:07 -0400
On 9/13/13 11:23 AM, "Stanley R. Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

>Hello NetWorker list subscribers,
>
>For those of you who don¹t know, I run this list and I have been doing so
>for roughly the past 20 years. I am writing now because of two changes I
>feel need to be made to this list.
>
>Those of you who are aware of the direction in which EMC is moving with
>regard to its BRS product suite, now that it is in a multi-year process
>to merge backup solutions to into a single unified solution. Here at
>Temple, we are moving from an environment that includes a NetWorker
>server that backs up to Data Domain, then clones to LTO-5 tape and an
>Avamar grid which we run separately from NetWorker.
>
>We intend to phase out NetWorker, go tapeless, but continue to leverage
>our DD 860 with our Avamar grid and focus our backup solution on Avamar.
>I expect this transition to be completed in a month or two.
>
>When that happens, my us of NetWorker will come to an end. NetWorker was
>and still is a fantastic backup solution, but managing both Avamar and
>NetWorker is rather pointless now that we have the means here to go
>tapeless. So that raises the question, why should I continue hosting a
>NetWorker Listserv list? My answer is to change the scope of the
>NetWorker list to reflect EMC¹s path for its data protection product
>suite and my own career as a data protection engineer. So, I intend to
>expand the scope of this list to include all of EMC¹s BRS products (e.g.,
>NetWorker, Avamar, Data Domain, DD Boost, and Avamar Data Stores), This
>is the first change I have in mind.
>
>With the change in scope comes the obvious need to rename the list and
>its email address to something else. I am thinking of EMCDP-L and
>corresponding email address EMCDP-L AT listserv.temple DOT edu. This is the
>second change. In case you haven¹t figured it out, the ³DP² stands for
>³data protection.² I am open to other names, so feel free to respond with
>any suggestions you have if you don¹t like my idea for a new name. The
>change in scope of the list is not up to debate though.
>
>Please also don't suggest EMCBRS-L to me. Considering that EMC can, and I
>suspect will, change ³BRS² in its marketing lingo to something else, I
>want a more general name for the new generation of this list. I also want
>to end the list¹s name in ³-L² to make it abundantly clear that it is a
>mailing list. This is an omission I made when I originally took over
>running the NetWorker list, which I intend to fix in its new name.
>
>I would like to make this change one week from today. When this change
>happens, this list¹s web site and its URL will change as well its email
>address. In addition, to make the transition easier for subscribers, I
>will make this change in a way that will allow email to the list¹s
>current email address to be automatically redirected to the new email
>address for a period of a few months (until I get around to closing the
>old list permanently). The list¹s current archives will also be moved
> [...]

I guess change is inevitable.  However it settles, this will still be the
best list on Networker questions.  The suggested name seems a bit cryptic.
 I know it's long, perhaps EMC-DataProtection-L?  I also like
EMC-BackupRecovery-L although I guess that would be not so forward-looking?

Patti Clark
Linux System Administrator
Research and Development Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory