Networker

Re: [Networker] How to use savepnpc with a backup "set" command?

2013-07-24 11:06:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to use savepnpc with a backup "set" command?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:58:23 -0400
> The most obvious way would be to use 2 client resources like ...
>
> the file backup client ...
>   Save Set:                   All-NTFS
>   Backup Command:      savepnpc
>
> the VSS backup client ...
>   Save Set:                   VSS....
>   Backup Command:      save -a "ignore-all-missing-system-files=yes"
>
> What do you think?

I'm not certain that would help, although it is quite ingenious. I need to
be able to do a BMR recovery of this server, and - since it's Win 2008 R2
- that means I need to do a DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset. So, checking what
drives are needed for that:

DISKSHADOW /L DiskShadow.LOG

Then

LIST WRITERS
EXIT

In the log file, look for

Volumes affected by this component:

-- this tells you what drives are necessary for a BMR. (I learned that
empirically, from this list)

There are a number of WRITERs, so there are a number of that "Volumes
affected" line. Look at all of them. In my case, one of the ASR (Automatic
System Recovery) writers is also listing all the other drives (the
database drive, the log drive, etc). So I don't know if it will try and
back all them up ....

I also don't know if you can properly do a BMR recovery of a Win 2008 R2
server if you don't explicitly list the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset (or
ALL, which includes it). I suspect not ...

I'll see if I can try it tonight ...

Thanks!