Networker

[Networker] Tape Alert message

2013-06-26 12:30:51
Subject: [Networker] Tape Alert message
From: cgs <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:50:13 -0700
Hello Michael,

maybe the tape drive has lost the inventory of the tape. Each time a tape is
loaded, the drive reads some information from the tape (EOT and other
information) and is updating this information when unloaded the tape. If
something is going wrong with rewind and writing the data to tape (power loss
or mechanical problems during rewind), this information can't be updated. Maybe
this is causing this tape alert. Probably the drive will need some time the
next mount of this tape because it has to read the tape first. For this
information is somewhat ancient, I'm not shure if this is still matching for
current tape technologies with MICs (chips in the tape cartridge) like LTO but
I would expect that at least the MIC has to be updated in the same manner.

Kind regards,
chs