Networker

[Networker] Verify: NW 8 storage node *will* work with NW 7.6.2 server?

2013-06-17 22:03:09
Subject: [Networker] Verify: NW 8 storage node *will* work with NW 7.6.2 server?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 21:55:10 -0400
I need to upgrade my NW environment (rename my NW server, push the new
name out to the clients, then upgrade the server to 8, which means also
upgrading 9 storage nodes at the same time). I'm trying to do the rename
this week, and the upgrade this weekend. Meanwhile, this weekend we will
be doing maintenance (regular scheduled patching). And we have other fixes
to do. I don't think I will have enough time to do the rename before this
weekend. So what I'd like to do is upgrade NW on the storage nodes to NW 8
this weekend (when the storage nodes are down for patching anyway), and
that will let me do the rename and actual server upgrade next week, when I
have more time., (part of the patching process will be to copy over new
"servers" file, with the new server name in it).

But I need to verify - the storage nodes at NW 8 will work properly with
my NW 7.6.2 server? All my nodes are AFTD devices, and are all the
important parts of the production environment (of course!). If I can do it
this way, it would be a big help. We have all sorts of things to install
new, patch existing, fix, etc.

Is anybody running a NW 8 storage node to a 7.6.2 server? (or any client,
really)

Most of my clients at Win2008, and probably won't need a reboot to upgrade
(uninstall, then install NW 8, is the usual practice, if I remember
right). That'll be a help, too ...

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM