Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging: Looks like the wrong save sets have been staged

2013-05-07 07:29:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging: Looks like the wrong save sets have been staged
From: Tony Albers <Tony.Albers AT PROACT DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 11:21:54 +0000
Hi Tam,

Glad I could be of some use :)

I suspect your issue is caused by staging operations colliding.

How many staging operations do you have automated? If you have the three
disk-devices, do you have three staging operations configured?

If so, how do you prevent them from colliding, that is one starting while the
other is running?  Since they are on the same filesystem, there is a good
chance you will get collisions since usage numbers aren't exact for each
individual disk volume. So if your staging policy is the same for all three
volumes notes, unix and linux, you will in theory kick off three stage
processes at the same time, since all volumes will reach 95% at the same time
(because it's actually only one file system).

IMO you could do two things:

1. Continue using staging, but repartition the disk with the partition mounted
on /diskbackup1 into three partitions, mounting these  and making a volume on
each. This will make sure the watermark settings actually work. You will still
run the risk of two staging processes fighting over the tape device though.

2. Drop staging and use scheduled cloning instead. It's a bit confusing to
configure and verify, but it's very reliable and you have full control of
what's going on.

/tony