Networker

Re: [Networker] Recyclable space to be reused.

2013-02-22 10:51:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recyclable space to be reused.
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 10:50:50 -0500
On Feb 22, 2013, at 8:43 AM, Anil Yadev <yadev.anil AT GMAIL DOT COM> wrote:

> We have one week expiry of the backup and it shows as recyclable status
> after one week but these backup space are not being removed and the space
> not reused by the new backup so the volume is getting full.
> What we should do so that recyclable backup space can be reused by some
> other backup ?.

Hi Anil,

The basic way that NetWorker makes sure that you can always recover from a week
ago is by making sure that it always has a valid backup from a week ago.  That
means that unless you are doing a full backup every day, that your backups are
going to hang around (in a recyclable state) until they are not needed to be
able to recover your data from one week ago.

That means that if you have a typical monthly full and daily incremental, that
your backups are going to hang round for one month plus one week.  If you have
a weekly full and daily incremental cycle, then your backups will hang around
for two weeks plus a day.

Does that help you understand why the backups are not being removed after
precisely one week?

- Frank