Networker

Re: [Networker] Looking for large Networker environments

2012-12-14 00:18:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Looking for large Networker environments
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:12:27 +1100
Hi Justin,

On 14/12/2012, at 11:23 AM, "Roberts, Justin (GE, Appl & Light)"
<Justin.Roberts2 AT GE DOT COM> wrote:

> We switched to Networker in the last year and we've experienced a lot of
> performance issues that we've worked through.   I keep asking EMC to get me
> in touch with another customer with a large environment so we can talk, and
> they keep "forgetting" to arrange it.
>
> I'm running two Networker servers and I think I'm pushing one of them too
> hard (although the other isn't that far behind).   Wanted to see if anyone
> else is running a Networker server this large or if I'm just crazy for trying.
>
> Largest Server:
> Windows 2008 R2 64bit w/ 6 CPU's and 8GB RAM
> Clients: ~2000 configured
> Groups: ~400 (ranging from every hour to once a week)
> Storage Nodes: 3+networker server itself
> Backup media:  3 Data Domain's and 4 Avamar Grids
> Backup types:    Filesystem/RMAN/SAP/MSSQL/NDMP/VADP

If that's your NetWorker server, you've got it horribly underspecced.

Your first point of call should be the NetWorker performance tuning guide,
which clearly states a bare minimum amount of RAM for a NetWorker server these
days should be 16GB of RAM. Further, as you increase the number of devices and
clients, you similarly need to increase the amount of RAM. My gut feeling is
that you need at a least a minimum of 64GB of RAM if you're pointing that many
(or even half that many) clients at a NetWorker server.

Also, you need 500MHz of CPU power to move 100MB/s of data INTO the NetWorker
server and then another 500MHz of CPU power to move that data OUT onto storage
at 100MB/s - I'm guessing that 6 CPUs (if you mean cores) will also be
insufficient there, though you may have a better CPU setup than that.

For NetWorker 8 at least, the performance tuning guide document is on PowerLink
at part number 300-013-559 Rev A01. Make sure you download it for either
NetWorker 8 or NetWorker 7.6 - previous versions of the document had not been
updated.

What you're wanting to do with NetWorker is entirely plausible (though I'd also
suggest the number of groups you have may be too high also), but you'll need to
beef up the resources on your NetWorker server substantially.

Cheers,
Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

NetWorker Blog                                  -       http://nsrd.info
Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery          -
http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com
Personal Ramblings                              -       http://unsane.info