Networker

Re: [Networker] Older NW clients with v7.6.4.3 server

2012-11-29 12:41:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Older NW clients with v7.6.4.3 server
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:40:37 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] Older NW clients with v7.6.4.3 server, bingo said...:

Tim added an important fact which is mentioned indirectly in the NW 8
Release Notes.  Have a look at this section: "Strong authentication
recommended between NMC Console and NetWorker server".
This assumes that it is also fact for the NW clients.

As new NW versions must be backward compatible , oldauth is still
available - and it works.  Just for curiosity i successfully backed up a
Windows 2000 AS server with NW 6.1.4 to the NW 8 server.

Thanks Matthieu and Carsten for confirming that oldauth is still present
in NW 8!  We're working on retiring the last of our 7.2.x clients (NetWare
file servers), but there's a chance we'll want to go to 8.x before that's
complete.  It's nice to know that old clients will still work.

Tim
edu