Networker

[Networker] NetWorker + DD Boost vs. NetWorker & Avamar

2012-11-14 22:28:06
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker + DD Boost vs. NetWorker & Avamar
From: mitch808 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 19:27:54 -0800
Avamar and DD both use variable block dedupe, just not the same algorithm.  One
calls it SISL, the other has no fancy name.  But both are very good.

Additionally, there are strong points to each as well in certain use cases.

Avamar is fantastic with high file count backups in the millions of files, high
latency links over (e.g. fractional 56k with 300ms latency) NDMP backups
infinite level 1's!!!  Vmware backups due to its proxy load balancing design.
And desktop/laptop backups

Where it falls on it's face and NW + DD take over is comprehensive tape
support, database backups of large or high change rate data, specific
application support like meditech, or just plain data center backups

You can put all three together you know?  Networker at it's core, DD on the
backend, avamar for remote office backups high file count backups, and all
managed through and administered through Networkers NMC.

Global dedupe on avamar is possible, though to some degree I think client side
BOOST with NW+DD may offer this somewhat?  But in a not as efficient method as
far as I can tell.  It's still not as fast to backup compared to avamar.