Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker + DD Boost vs. NetWorker & Avamar

2012-11-07 17:55:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker + DD Boost vs. NetWorker & Avamar
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 16:54:27 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] NetWorker + DD Boost vs. NetWorker & Avamar,...:

In regard to: RE: [Networker] NetWorker + DD Boost vs. NetWorker & Avamar,...:

Also another difference between Avamar and DD, is that if you want to
clone the data out to tape after it has been de-duped then you can
pretty much rule Avamar out of the picture, with the Data Domains in the
picture, its workable, but only as pretty as tape will allow it to be

Thanks again for you thoughts Mat!  They're definitely appreciated.

I did know that tapeout with Avamar has been a big problem for years.
It's my understanding that up until recently, tapeout with Avamar meant
doing a restore to a temporary spot and then a backup - yuck.  However,
the reading I've been doing indicates that the product has improved
somewhat.  I'm not certain I'll be to find the link (it might have
been a StorageZilla blog post, not sure), but I recall reading that
current Avamar + Networker 8.x now allows direct tapeout via NetWorker
cloning.

I found the post where tapeout is mentioned, just after I sent my
last response.  It's here:

http://storagezilla.typepad.com/storagezilla/2012/07/rocket-boost.html

Tim
edu