Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker + DD Boost vs. NetWorker & Avamar

2012-11-05 22:31:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker + DD Boost vs. NetWorker & Avamar
From: Mathew Harvest <Mathew.HARVEST AT COMMUNITIES.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 13:31:29 +1000
Hi Tim,

Just to answer a small part of one of your questions in terms of the difference
between NetWorker 8.x + DD Boost and Avamar. Is that DD Boost is still very
chatty when compared to Avamar, which means that Avamar works a lot better (and
I believe is certified) over slowish/high latency WAN links whereas DD Boost
isn't certified, and pretty much doesn't work in this circumstance. As far as a
definition of slowish and high latency goes you'd need to talk to your EMC rep
to find out what sort of links they will qualify DD Boost over, as an example
we have a 50Mb/s link to a site that has a 28ms response time to pings (the
site is about 1800KM's away) - so a reasonably fat pipe, but with a high
latency and a backup to networker with DD Boost (this was networker 7.6.x to DD
running DDOS 5.0.x) and the backup ran at a crawl, whereas Avamar backups work
fine, its also possible that performance with Networker 8 and DDOS 5.1/5.2 have
improved its performance over this type of link

I think that your understanding of NetWorker and DD integration across the
different versions is accurate

As for recovery times, it's going to depend on your situation, if you are
performing single or a small number (this number is going to vary depending on
the model of dedupe appliance that you are considering) of recoveries
concurrently then I'd say that performance would be similar to traditional disk
based backup solutions, and faster than tape based solutions. But if you are
talking about a larger number of concurrent recoveries then there are going to
be a number of variables in your environment that are going to contribute to
the speed of recovery, backup server / storage node spec's and load, backend
network infrastructure, target client spec's  and load.

If your organization is serious about getting accurate RTO's then I'd be
looking to get an eval unit and seeing what it can do in your environment

Hope that this helps

Mat