Networker

Re: [Networker] Why doesnt nsrinfo show me saveset details?

2012-10-10 14:28:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why doesnt nsrinfo show me saveset details?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:15:44 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Why doesnt nsrinfo show me saveset details?,...:

You only need to "scanner -m", followed by "scanner -i", when the tapes
are not in the media database at all.

Since when?

That's never been a requirement, and it's contrary to what the
documentation says.  scanner -i rebuilds both, at once.

I've certainly done scanner -i in the past and had it rebuild both.  If
that's changed, I would love to know when it changed.  Someone should
also get EMC to fix their documentation.

Now, I *will* say that in some situations it will be faster (potentially
much faster) to do

        scanner -m

on a full tape or set of tapes, and then do

        scanner -i -S ssid

but that's only if you only want to rebuild the indexes for particular
ssids.

*If* (and only if) you know that the tape contains an index backup for
the client in question, then it's faster still to do

        scanner -m
        nsrck -L7 -t whatever clientname

as documented in the scanner man page.

Tim