Networker

Re: [Networker] Block size wrong

2012-09-05 11:54:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Block size wrong
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 11:54:20 -0400
> Here's a weird one. I am attempting a D/R recovery of a Win2008 R2
client,
> from a tape made over this past weekend. But when it goes to run, I am
> getting:
>
> Block size is 32768 bytes not 131072 bytes. Verify the device
> configuration. Tape positioning by record is disabled.
>
> I have no idea why. This is the same server, library, and tape that was
in
> use this past weekend, when the backup created normally. And I was on
> vacation for a couple days, so I certainly didn't change any settings
> since the backup on Sunday. And my boss says he didn't do it (he
wouldn't
> know how; I'm not sure I know how ..)
>
> Any thoughts about why it thinks the blocksize is not what it wants? And

> more importantly, how to fix it, so the recovery finishes? Searching
> powerlink is not finding a quick solution (probably my searching at
fault)

More info: these are fiber connected LTO-4 drives. The properties of the
drive where the tape is loaded (all the drives, it seems) at set to
"handler default" in the properties, under "device block size".

The volume does indeed say "block size 128K".

This is the first time I've seen this. I've never had to set block size
per drive; I just let it use the default. Do I need to change the drive
block size, in order for this to work? And do I leave it changed, or set
it back to "handler default" after the recovery is done?