Networker

Re: [Networker] Questions on backup renamed directories attribute?

2012-08-10 16:21:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Questions on backup renamed directories attribute?
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT newtech DOT fi>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 23:21:24 +0300
On Wednesday 08 August 2012 18:09:59 George Sinclair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Three questions on the 'Backup renamed directories' attribute:
>
> 1. If you turn on the 'Backup renamed directories' attribute for a
> client then under what circumstances *might* 'save -i' (backup command
> attribute) not work as expected?

I wouldn't expect any other drawbacks/differences than slower backups because
of the
extra lookups. Have you seen differences?

> 2. Why does enabling this attribute cause the save program to perform a
> lookup in the CFI in order to determine if a directory have been renamed?
>
> Normally, NW is looking at the ctimes of the files and comparing these
> against the value stored in the media database for the affected save set
> for the previous backup. I would think the CFI would only be read when
> doing recovers, so if a directory is renamed, then its ctime will
> change, and if NW knows that the ctime has changed then why not just
> back up everything under there without having to check the client file

This is because NTFS (or Microsoft) doesn't consider renaming a directory as
beeing a change in that directory (sic!) and doesn't modify the ctime of the
directory.
This is a grey area in POSIX and of course MS had to do it on a different way
than the rest of the world...

> 3. What happens if you have this attribute turned on, but you're writing
> your data to a non-indexed pool?

Shouldn't make any difference.

Best
Dag