Networker

Re: [Networker] [Avamar-L] DPA 5.5 problem

2012-05-25 19:10:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Avamar-L] DPA 5.5 problem
From: "Stanley R. Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 23:06:27 +0000
My DPA server is up and running. Kudos to EMC's tech support for their
assistance.

I have no idea why, but DPA's database was corrupt. With first-level support, I
tried restoring the database files from last night's Avamar backup. That didn't
help. Second level support (I didn't get his name) was engaged. They reminded
me that, two years ago, when I set up this DPA server, I also set up a daily
cron job to quiesce the iAnywhere database and dump it to a backup folder.
Until I was asked about that, I completely forgot I had done it, but that cron
job has been running every day since.

We restored the database from the quiesced database copy that my cron script
generated this morning and than DPA started up normally and I can now use the
GUI on my desktop again.

The irony of having to resort to a backup copy is not lost on me or my boss.

Have a nice weekend.