Networker

Re: [Networker] Scheduled Clone Jobs - How To Set Exclusions Rather Than Fil

2012-04-26 16:27:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Scheduled Clone Jobs - How To Set Exclusions Rather Than Fil
From: "Bowersock, Bryan" <Bryan.Bowersock AT AHSS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:27:33 +0000
Doh!  "incomplete" is a flag attribute which only has the values of 'true' or
'false' AND only applies to query constraints....so you are correct, the
methodology I had previously mentioned will not work.

So am I wrong for not wanting the VSS savesets to go to tape every week?  It
just seems like a lot of wasted tape media to store offsite for 6 months.  The
only ones I would want to keep offsite would be the VSS savesets on my Domain
Controllers just to be safe, but again, I still think that is unnecessary.
Please correct me if my thinking is incorrect...

I'm assuming there is a way to do this such that:

1.  When backups occur for the filesystem savesets, like C:\, D:\, etc., I can
send those to a media pool called 'Filesystems'
2.  Then have another group that runs the VSS saveset backups and sends them to
a separate media pool called 'VSS', for example?
3.  I could then filter the clone job to only grab the full backups from the
'Filesystems' pool
4.  Set a 1 month retention period on the 'VSS' pool which never goes to tape
media.

We have over 200 clients so I'm thinking that this would be a huge
configuration change (and a boat load of work).

Any thoughts about VSS savesets and if they really need to go offsite while
retained onsite for 1 month?  I can't think of a scenario where one would have
to go back 1 month for a VSS saveset, but I have also never run into a
situation like that.  Perhaps I don't understand VSS as well as I should?  If I
don't need to keep them more than my DataDomain retention period of 1 month,
would the configuration I outlined above be the proper way to handle this?
Thanks again.

I am running NW 7.6.2.7 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 64-bit.

-Bryan