Networker

[Networker] Merging Media DB Info

2012-04-20 06:58:51
Subject: [Networker] Merging Media DB Info
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:58:31 -0700
Hello - today it is my turn to open a new topic, unfortunately with respect to
an old well known issue.

We have 2 NW data zones:
  The productive zone
  Its predecessor which we need to keep for recoveries (we have to maintain
some data for 15 years)

We are thinking about moving old (100) tapes from the old to the new data zone.
But of course we do not
want to scan them.

In general, there should not be an issue as the core is just data. So this
common procedure should be
possible:
  - Export the old MDB
  - (Delete the stuff which is obsolete)
  - Do a bulk import into the productive MDB
It should be as easy as that.

But there are at least these 2 issues:
  - NW can not handle duplicate SSIDs.
        However, this problem would also appear if you scan the media. So
forget these obviously rare
        save sets.
  - NW can not handle duplicate volumes.
        This is partially true. Before NW 7.0 this was possible without
problems thanks to the volid.
        Today NW will not allow you to add a volume with the same name to the
MDB even though the volid
        is different.
        But now comes the strange part: If you had to scan a volume with the
same name in a NW 6.x
        data zone and you update this machine to NW 7.x, there was no issue! -
So the capabilities to
        handle duplicate volume names still existed (at least in NW 7.0). NW
would just refuse to add
        such volume when you tried to scan it.
        Maybe this behavior changed in the interim - I verified it about 10
years ago ;-)

Anyway - my core question is: Is it possible at all and has somebody done it
already?
  - EMC support of course only offers the 'scan' method.
  - But EMC Professional Services or Engineering might be able to do this.
        - EMC knows the structure of the database
        - They know the data
        - They should have the proper tools
    So why don't they offer this service at all (and make some extra money)?
    I think they must have a solution (somethime in the future) as no bigger
customer is lucky if
    scanning remains the only solution to this problem.

So my final approch is to use the forum to find somebody where this has already
been done.
Probably i am just talking to the wrong people ...

Any help is appreciated.

Regards, Carsten