Networker

Re: [Networker] Best Practice in naming Networker Groups?

2012-04-17 14:28:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Best Practice in naming Networker Groups?
From: Eddie Albert <Eddie.Albert AT CITIZENSFLA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 14:27:36 -0400
Could you tell me what an "Acceptance Environment" is?

I have never heard/used that term before.

I like your example with one small exception.

P/D/N where = non-prod data

I like Retention expressed in days where possible (20 year would be tough) ex:

R007 1week
R014 2weeks
R030 1month
R060 2months
R090 3months
R180 6months
R365 1year
R567 -> Make up an Rcode for crazy retention dates 3, 5 or 7 years.
R999 ForeverTape

The benefit here is in sorting...Networker is stupid, in that it cannot tell
that 2weeks is smaller than 2 months but it does know that 014 is smaller than
060 so it sorts the names properly.

I like simple media pools when I can. I would love to come up with an
environment that usues ONLY default tape. Of course how would you know if
something goes awry if you used the default pool though?

/shrug  -- Ask 1,000 beekeepers how to keep bees, you will 1,000 different
ways, all are right in their eyes.

Semper fidelis et paratus, /ALE