Networker

Re: [Networker] Downloading StorageTek EBS 7.6

2012-04-11 05:32:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Downloading StorageTek EBS 7.6
From: Riku Valli <riku.valli AT UTA DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 12:31:47 +0300
On 04/11/2012 12:08 PM, Tim Kimball wrote:
> Few things to help out, since I'm in the same boat:
>
> 1) EMC's site will not contain EBS.  EBS is a Sun/Oracle re-brand of
> Networker, that is specific to them (and was EOL'd shortly after the Oracle
> purchase was finalized).
>
> 2) Upgrade from 7.4 to 7.6 will generate an update enabler due to 7.5 in the
> middle, see Oracle KB 1006032.1
>
> -----=====
> Note: If you are upgrading from a 7.5.x release to 7.6, an update enabler is
> not generated and not required. If you are upgrading from any release previous
> to 7.5 to release 7.6, the update enabler is auto-generated. However, the
> enabler indicates "Update enabler for 7.5" and will need to be authorized for
> 7.6 server within 45 days."
> -----=====
>
> 3) Also check this Oracle KB:
> How to migrate Enterprise Backup Software (EBS) to EMC NetWorker [ID
> 1160430.1]
>
> 4) Latest Oracle patch available for EBS 7.6 is 7.6.1 equiv, and that is for
> Solaris only (sparc-64 and x64).  So you'd have to convert to EMC Networker
> to be current under Linux.
>
> 5) Last I heard Oracle does not support a Linux EBS Server, only Solaris.
> Storage nodes and clients were fine.

I was same boat too. If i understand right. Oracle offer only support
for existing customers sitation as is. So you can't purchase new
licenses and support ended to version 7.6. We must convert all our
EBS-licenses to equivalent EMC-licenses.

You don't need update-enebler licenses any more, but you need new
licenses/enablers for version 7.6 and have 45 days time period for that.

We used our EBS-licenses with Linux without problems with EMC's
binaries. Only different thing were host-id which Solaris have had rom
and Linux generated from eth0
ip-address<http://ilmainensanakirja.fi/sanakirja_suomi-englanti/vastaava>.

Now we used EMC-licenses at RedHat 5.8 with 7.6.3.1 and our Oracle's
EBS-licenses were trashed.

Regards, Riku