Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows DFS Junction warning messages

2012-04-03 14:15:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows DFS Junction warning messages
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:15:22 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Windows DFS Junction warning messages,...:

You have to open up the client resource in the NetWorker administrator
GUI and in the savesets section, list out all the disks and DFS mount
points you want to back up on that client.

That's the part I don't get: *why* do I have to do that?

On a UNIX or Linux client, the "All" saveset backs up all mounted,
local filesystems that are listed in the mnttab or it's platform-specific
equivalent.  If /var and /home are separate filesystems, mounted in the
"var" and "home" directories (mountpoints) under /, I don't need to do
anything special to get them to be backed up.  "All" takes care of it.

So why doesn't "All" do the same thing on Windows?

Tim

All-

We've been backing up Windows systems to our (previous) UNIX and now
Linux NetWorker servers for 15+ years.  Our Windows admins are preparing
to roll out Windows-based file services to replace our NetWare file servers,
and we've encountered a warning that I don't understand.

The warning is this:

--- Successful Save Sets ---

* wserv.ndsu.edu:All savefs wserv.ndsu.edu: succeeded.
* wserv.ndsu.edu:K:\ 69435:save: DFS Junction/Mountpoint detected:
files/directories under `K:\DFSRoots\home\' will not be backed up. To back up a
DFS Junction/Mountpoint, specify the DFS Junction/Mountpoint as the saveset
value.
* wserv.ndsu.edu:K:\ 69435:save: DFS Junction/Mountpoint detected:
files/directories under `K:\DFSRoots\shared\' will not be backed up. To back up
a DFS Junction/Mountpoint, specify the DFS Junction/Mountpoint as the saveset
value.
 wserv.ndsu.edu: K:\      level=full,    911 KB 00:02:03     14 files

One of our Windows admins did some searching in Powerlink and turned up
esg91909, "Error: 'Mountpoint detected' when performing backups", which
basically says that NetWorker doesn't backup up mounted filesystems, and
goes on to later state that "mountpoints are not crossed" on any platform.
That's complete bunk; NetWorker will certainly cross mountpoints on UNIX &
Linux systems, as long as we're talking about *local* volumes.

I'm not a Windows guy, so I have to believe there's something going on
here that I don't understand.  Why is it warning me about DFS mountpoints
on the Windows system?  Is it that

- DFS mountpoints work more like a symlink, in that the data actually
 resides elsewhere on the system but it's presented to the user or
 client system as if it was under K:?

or

- DFS mountpoints are considered non-local volumes, akin to an NFS mount
 on UNIX/Linux?

Anyone care to clarify what's going on here?

Thanks,

Tim
edu

edu