Networker

Re: [Networker] How to recover multiple paths?

2012-03-20 15:36:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to recover multiple paths?
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 19:30:50 +0000
That is wrong and actually very dangerous.

recover wouldn't try to create the /nsr/res.R because that is only done by
mmrecov. Both commands do very different things.

The command:
  recover -S <your_bootstrap_ssid> -a /nsr/res
would try to overwrite the /nsr/res directory.

It would ask before overwriting existing files but would recover everything
else under /nsr/res mixing up production files and recovered files. That could
cause some corruption of the res databases .

Note: "-a" is ignored with saveset recoveries and, it is anyway, pointless.

The recovery of bootstrap savesets is to be done with mmrecov and definitely
not with with the regular recover comand which does different things and call
different asm binaries.

Having said that, the /nsr/res directory can be recovered with a saveset
recover of the bootstrap  using the regular recover command *** but it should
be relocated** (using option -d) to avoid overwriting the existing /nsr/res
directory...However I  wouldn't recommend doing such thing.

BTW I don't see the link between the previous  message and the subject being
discussed on this thread. Maybe I have missed some previous message? Difficult
to tell if the thread is cut off from the reply(!) (for instance, what
"statement is not true"? )

jee