Networker

Re: [Networker] Win2008R2 Cluster & DR-WSB & NSR 7.6.2.3.Build.663

2012-03-13 08:26:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Win2008R2 Cluster & DR-WSB & NSR 7.6.2.3.Build.663
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:26:14 -0400
> Why are these cluster-service hdds be part of DR backups ?
>
> Why are they considered as critical by WSB ?
>
> Bug ? Feature ?
>
> Did I miss something somewhere ?

Feature.

It depends on the application, as to whether it decides to register what
directories/disks as "critical". Example: we run Lotus Notes for a mail
server. It is installed on it's own drive E:, since the mail store is on
the order of 400G.

Well, Notes registered itself as a "critical" feature, essential to the
normal operation of this server, and so is included in the
DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset. And naturally, Notes needs its entire mail
store. So my DR backup is 400+ G. This is *separate* from the backup of E:
drive.

So using saveset ALL gets me 400G of DR, and 400G of drive E: (so the info
is duplicated). But you can't use the DR backup for normal recoveries,
because you can't extract just individual files (yet).

So what I do is have 2 jobs and a SKIP directive. One job lists *just* the
folders on E: (i.e., the mail store), and the other job lists all the
other savesets, excluding the DR):

VSS SYSTEM BOOT:
VSS SYSTEM FILESET:
VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:
VSS USER DATA:
VSS OTHER:
C:
E:

With a SKIP directive to skip the folders enumerated in the other job.

It means I don't get an actual DR backup, but I backup all the data, and I
can recover individual mail files. This is only workable because Notes
still uses an INI file configuration system. So in an actual disaster, we
would re-install Windows and Notes (also on a drive E:), then recover all
the folders on drive E:.

Far from ideal, but the only other way to do is is to backup well over a
TB every day. And since we backup to AFTD device, we couldn't keep our
required 2 days retention on disk (we don't have that much space).

Sounds like you've got a similar problem ...