Networker

Re: [Networker] daily networker contention...

2012-02-29 02:31:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] daily networker contention...
From: Thierry Faidherbe <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 08:30:06 +0100
Just an idea ...

What I did in my nsrclone/nsrstage jobs is to split them:
in way of giving 1 list of ssid to nsrclone/nsrstage
(and by consequence having to wait end of job to reclaim space
or for resource to be freezed), I split list based on size
to clone/stage and/or amount of SSIDs:

If you look, when handling long ssid list,
nsrstage takes time to purge mediadb and reclaim space.
When handling high amount of data, it takes time to complete
and resource locks occur in a longer period and sometime
ends up in deadlock.

So, I reengineered my clone/stage process to definitively distribute
my SSIDs list based on job size of 250GB and/or 30 SSIDs a time
then I schedule my nsrclone/nsrstage jobs one by one.

Doing so, if a resource lock occurs (eg a tape needed for reading
due to savegroup autocloning, a recover, ...), request will be spooled and
operation will be performed between nsrclone/stage jobs. Another advantage
is that disk space of AFD devices will be faster reclaimed and resource
locks
faster freed.

HTH

TH

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE
Backup/Storage & System Management

LE FOREM
Département des Systèmes d'Information
Direction Infrastructure

Boulevard Tirou, 104  Tel:    +32 (0)71/206730
B-6000 CHARLEROI      Mobile: +32 (477)/995319
                      Fax:    +32 (0)71/206199
BELGIUM               Mail : Thierry.faidherbe<at>forem.be

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams",
Eleanor Roosevelt