Networker

[Networker] daily networker contention...

2012-02-28 09:19:23
Subject: [Networker] daily networker contention...
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:18:54 -0500
I have a storage node that has two AFTD's and two tape drives.  I have Oracle
DBA's that insist
they are better at manually backing up their databases than NetWorker will ever
be.  I have a
script that manages staging of data from the AFTD's onto tape.

Every day between 9am, those three facts gang up and

the DBA's run multiple save commands that write save sets onto the AFTD's and
then run clone
commands to copy them to offsite tapes to go to the vault, the staging script
sees that the
DBA's have done this and decide to stage some data off one of the AFTDs to the
tape pool.  The
clone grabs the AFTD, the stage grabs the tape drive - and then both wait for
the other to be
done.  Eventually, the first DBA inspired clone that got the other AFTD and the
other tape
drive finishes and the second DBA clone uses that tape because it's in the
correct pool and
then the stage gets the AFTD and writes to the tape it has been holding onto.

Does anyone else experience that staging and cloning seem to get their
resources in opposite
order and thus go out of their way to try to deadlock themselves?

Oh, I'm running NW 7.6.3.1 on RHEL6 64-bit servers.