Networker

Re: [Networker] Pools ?

2012-02-14 23:53:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Pools ?
From: Richard Hoare <richard AT DATA4U.CO DOT NZ>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:51:30 +1300
Skip

We have had to setup a lot of different configurations for customers
depending upon their business requirements.

Some customers have come up with bazaar reasons for their pool
configurations. You end up having a debate with a "die hard" "sock and
sandal" wearing SCO enthusiast. (My apologies if I have offended someone)

Some of these reasons include;

*         Different drive models within a silo

*         Different retention on clone pools

*         Snapshots (this was historical due to the Powersnap metadata
saveset's preventing media recycling)

*         Media retention (Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Annual etc)

Some customers use LTO4 for daily's, the LTO5 tapes for Monthly. Cost
savings.

*         NetWorker archiving feature. (Yes one of our customers still uses
this feature)

*         WORM Tapes

*         Differentiating levels. i.e. Log backups every 1 hour with a short
retention policy

Regards

Richard