Networker

Re: [Networker] Pools ?

2012-02-14 21:09:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Pools ?
From: "Stanley R. Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 02:07:52 +0000
Preston,

Why not do both?

Once a day, I run a scheduled "savegrp -O" to save my employer's NetWorker
server's index files and daily bootstraps to a Data Domain device, then clone
them to tape for off-site storage. I also do the usual thing where each
client's index files are saved after the client's backup completes. The main
benefit I see is the ability to restore stuff easier in a DR site if aliens
from another world swoop down on my employer's primary data center and blow it
all to smithereens with a heat ray. Restoring the many index files becomes
easier in a DR situation because considerably fewer tapes need to be loaded and
read, plus I can pick and choose which clients' indices to restore first, if
necessary.