Networker

Re: [Networker] Checking before cloning....

2012-02-08 08:26:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] Checking before cloning....
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 08:25:58 -0500
On 2/8/12 8:10 AM, Nelson, Allan wrote:
> So, it seems that once you've actually tried to do a clone the -n switch will
> flag up the error, but before you get an actual failure it merrily reports
> that all is fine.
>
> Am I missing something here?  Sort of implies the -n switch is totally
> useless to me.

Well, the -n switch has just as much usefulness to you now as it did before.
It will report if
there are any existing problems with the savesets you are planning to clone.
At the time you
tested, and because the -n doesn't actually mount and attempt to read the
savesets it can't
test for you, NetWorker had not marked the saveset(s) as suspect and didn't
until the read
attempt failed.

Has -n ever found any problems for you?  If not, then I would agree that it may
be useless for
you.  However, for folks that send tapes away, it could be used to give you a
list of the tapes
you need to retrieve to perform the action...