Networker

Re: [Networker] Using mminfo and grep to find all ...

2012-02-02 18:28:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using mminfo and grep to find all ...
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 23:27:05 +0000
Hi Vygur,

grep may not help much here

If your 1month retention pool contains savesets with a 6-month retention it is
not because the retention is in the wrong pool.  The problem is that the
longer 6-month retention was set on the client. Networker applies the longest
of  {client-retention, pool-retention}.

You need to look at the retention on the client definition and the pool but if
the configuration has changed, then you will need to analyse some mminfo
output.

- Use mminfo to print client, ssretent and savetime.
- extract the month from both (see below)
- substract savetime from ssretent
- add 12
- calculate the modulus 12 (the result should be 1 for 1-month retention
savesets and 6 for 6-month retention savesets)

How to extract the month from the date using the (korn) shell.

If date="MM/DD/YY" then use:
month=${date%%/*}
to remove everything after the first slash

Example:
+---------------------
$ date="01/31/12"
$ echo ${date%%/*}
01
-------------------------------------+

extract the month from ssretent and savetime on each line of the mminfo output
and substract savetime's MM  from ssretent's MM ( the substraction can be
negative, so you need to add 12 and calculate the modulus 12 to get a result
of 1 or 6 -- or else,  depending on the retention,  but always less than 12 --
assumming that the retention is either 1 or 6 on that 1-month pool)

mminfo -q volume=1monthtape.00001 -r "ssretent,savetime,client" |\
while read ssretent savetime client
do
   retent=$(( ( ${ssretent%%/*}  - ${savetime%%/*} + 12 ) % 12 ))
   echo ${client},${retent}
done

Example: (using a file to simulate mminfo output)

+---------------------
$ cat  /tmp/mminfo.txt

07/30/12 01/30/12 client1
12/30/11 06/30/11 client1
03/20/12 02/20/12 client3
08/20/12 02/20/12 client2
12/30/11 11/30/11 client3
01/20/12 12/20/11 client3
06/20/12 12/20/11 client2
12/30/12 06/30/12 client1
05/30/12 11/30/11 client1
05/30/11 04/30/11 client1

$ cat  /tmp/mminfo.txt|\
while read ssretent savetime client
do
   retent=$(( ( ${ssretent%%/*}  - ${savetime%%/*} + 12 ) % 12 ))
   echo ${client},${retent}
done
client1,6
client1,6
client3,1
client2,6
client3,1
client3,1
client2,6
client1,6
client1,6
client1,1
(note comma-separated output for your boss)

I don't have a Nw server here and cannot test this with savetimes on the 31st
of a month with the retention on a  30-day month.

If you are using  Windows, then you can use -xc, to produce csv output with
mminfo and work the ssretent and savetime substractions within excel.

I hope this may help

jee