Networker

Re: [Networker] odd "Not a valid hotname" error

2012-01-25 13:53:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] odd "Not a valid hotname" error
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 13:51:26 -0500
Well, I was able to resolve it, in an equally odd way. I added my NW
server to another NMC I run (at one of my remote sites). I then created
the client from there. And *then* I was able to move it to the group I
wanted.

Strange, but if everything worked sanely and the way it was supposed to,
I'd probably be out of a job. LOL

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
01/25/2012 12:27:20 PM:

> From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Date: 01/25/2012 12:30 PM
> Subject: [Networker] odd "Not a valid hotname" error
> Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
>
> This is unusual. I had to recreate my NMC installation recently. So I
> created a new VM, installed NMC, all works well. During the installation

> of NMC, it created a client and a saveset to save the DB (savepsm". Yet
> when I go to change the group it's in (from "Default"), I get an error
> that the client's name is not a valid host name, and I can't move it. So
> figured I would delete it, and re-create it. And I get the same error
when
> trying to re-create the client.
>
> The client properly exist in DNS, both forward and reverse; I verified
> that from both the VM and my NW server. I can ping it from the server,
and
> vice versa. The VM is in even the "servers" file of the server, and the
NW