Networker

Re: [Networker] NSR 7.4.5 Entire Catalog dump to text file...????

2012-01-18 19:07:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSR 7.4.5 Entire Catalog dump to text file...????
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 18:07:15 -0600
In regard to: [Networker] NSR 7.4.5 Entire Catalog dump to text...:

"if you know the exact path to the file and you know the saveset
that contains the (version of the) file you want, you don't need to
scanner. You can recover it directly, bypassing the need for a client
file index."

This is exactly what I'd prefer to do. I'm not looking to rebuild an
index, I just want to recover a file they want IF....they ever need it.
I just have to prove that it can be done, document the process, and we
can move along from there.  [Wink]

I've done that exact thing many times over the years *but* I haven't had
to do it since they retired the old Motif-based networker "green gui".
I believe the option to do it used to be under the "Saveset" or "Saveset
Recovery" menu.  You could pick the saveset you wanted and then just type
in one or more exact paths, and the recovery would essentially search
the saveset for those exact paths and recover them.  If the path was a
directory, it recovered it and all its contents.

As I said, I haven't had to do that recently, but if I did have to, I
would start with the recover command, using both the -S and -a options.
I think that's how it's accomplished these days.

Note that this partial saveset recovery still requires that the NetWorker
server know about the volume and all the savesets contained on it, so
at a minimum you would still need to use "scanner -m" to populate just
the media database.  saveset recovery & partial saveset recovery bypasses
the client file index, but not the media database.

Tim
edu