Networker

Re: [Networker] aes encryption of manually backed up raw partition on windows

2011-12-23 02:21:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] aes encryption of manually backed up raw partition on windows
From: Tim Kimball <Tim.Kimball AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 07:20:04 +0000
Encryption over a manual saveset (for us) required a directive file on the
client.  We do this on Solaris clients, but I'd assume the same for a Windows
environment.

The interesting bit is if a directive can reference a raw partition.
Unfortunately the manpages I have say no (in Unix), but raw backups in Windows
don't seem to require rawasm.

Have you tried something like this (disclaimer, -f taken from a unix manpage):

save.exe -f my_asm.dir \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2

And my_asm.dir contains:
aesasm:  \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2

@ EMC - Any chance we can get a checkbox for encryption in the saveset config,
like NetBackup has?  It really should not be an asm, but instead a core part of
the client libraries (barring export restriction issues of course).

--TSK

Tim Kimball
http://sungak.net