Networker

[Networker] Can a manual clone job use more than 1 tape volume?

2011-11-29 09:06:59
Subject: [Networker] Can a manual clone job use more than 1 tape volume?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 06:03:13 -0800
Concerning big save sets: NW needs to keep track about the 'segment's location
and sequence. It is not possible to spread a single save set's data over
multiple media simultaneously. This is obvious as NetWorker could theoretically
split such save set and start with 'segment_x' on tape_2. However, it would not
know in advance whether all data up to 'segment_x-1' would be successfully
written on tape_1.

I am pretty sure that NetWorker can not even spread multiple small save sets
from the GUI to different media. But it might do so if the other parameters fit
as well (small Target Session value for the tape drives etc).

Best practice i would use is to run multiple nsrclone commands/scripts for this
purpose.
Using the command line you can of course also clone directly to multiple clone
pools which the GUI does not offer you (unfortunately this is rarely an option).