Networker

Re: [Networker] OT - migrating a VM to a physical machine

2011-11-16 08:25:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] OT - migrating a VM to a physical machine
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:23:54 -0500
> I'm just wondering what the licensing reason for moving back to a
> physical, is it because the vendor wants to license all of the
> sockets in the ESX cluster rather than the virtual CPU's that are
> assigned to the guest?

Pretty much.

> If that's the case, I'm just wondering if it might be easier to run
> the boxes as standalone ESX servers, it kinda sucks from a
> virtualization point of view, but might get you round your issue
> with as little pain as possible.

Hmmm ... I will mention it. But I think my boss has his heart set on a
stand-alone physical machine, not running as a VM ... there may be
licensing details that I am not aware (i.e., different pricing for
virtualization vs physical, regardless of pricing for number of CPUs, etc)

> If that's not the case,  you could get the machine(s) cloned as an
> initial step, and then run the sysprep over the clone - at least
> then you fall back would be just to power up the original VM.

But I couldn't fall back. The sysprep would change the SID, so the VM
would not be able to authenticate to the domain again. I would need to
sysprep the clone, and then re-join the domain. That would stop me from
using the VM again.