Networker

Re: [Networker] OT - migrating a VM to a physical machine

2011-11-15 16:26:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] OT - migrating a VM to a physical machine
From: Mathew Harvest <Mathew.HARVEST AT COMMUNITIES.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:23:59 +1000
Hey Michael,

I'm just wondering what the licensing reason for moving back to a physical, is
it because the vendor wants to license all of the sockets in the ESX cluster
rather than the virtual CPU's that are assigned to the guest?

If that's the case, I'm just wondering if it might be easier to run the boxes
as standalone ESX servers, it kinda sucks from a virtualization point of view,
but might get you round your issue with as little pain as possible.

If that's not the case,  you could get the machine(s) cloned as an initial
step, and then run the sysprep over the clone - at least then you fall back
would be just to power up the original VM.

Mat