Networker

[Networker] Gartner's "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Disk-Based

2011-11-08 15:32:03
Subject: [Networker] Gartner's "Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Disk-Based
From: Mark Wiertalla <wiertalla_mark AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:31:30 -0500
Hello everyone -

EMC, like every other vendor in Gartner Groups 'Enterprise Disk-Based
Backup/Recovery' report, participates in this process with Gartner. We
talk directly with the Gartner analysts about the business at multiple
levels (product, technology, sales, marketing, etc.) and we fill out a
lengthy questionnaire on product capabilities and business. In addition to
interviews with the vendors Garnter also includes points of view
consolidated from their subscriber base. Even though the report is dated
January 2011, their information collection process took place in Sept/Oct
of 2010...A full year ago.

The statement that Yaron has accurately captured is actually accompanied
with Garnter's guidance to view NetWorker in light of 'focus on
integration' and 'an evolving archtectural roadmap'.

Many of you know that NetWorker's deduplication capabilities are
fundamentally tied to integation with EMC's Avamar and/or Data Domain
technologies. That is indeed our business strategy and Garnter seems to
reflect that fairly in their report.

And as some of you know, the NetWorker roadmap has evolved in ways that
Gartner was not able to consider in the 2010 time frame, including
evolution in the NetWorker archtecture. This evolution resutls from
significant investment in core NetWorker development that will enable
NewWorker to continue supporting enterprise performance and scalability
growth for years to come.

With great respect to the many knowlegdeable Gartner analysts that I have
worked with over the years, the Gartner report was written without this
critical insight.

Best regards,
Mark