Networker

Re: [Networker] RHEL6/XFS/NW 7.6.2

2011-11-01 12:00:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] RHEL6/XFS/NW 7.6.2
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 10:56:43 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] RHEL6/XFS/NW 7.6.2, Francis Swasey said (at...:

Before I ask EMC and RedHat to point fingers at each other,

:-)

I thought
I'd ping you illustrious folk to see if any of you know of anything that
would indicate I have either royally screwed up by choosing XFS or if
perhaps you have more experience with XFS and can suggest something in
the way of tuning to "make it stop" (right now, I'm using mostly default
options, with the single exception of adding the inode64 option to allow
inodes to be placed beyond the first 4TB of the 17TB disk).

XFS obviously isn't as widely tested on Linux as something like ext3, but
sometimes it's the only viable choice.

It's been a while since I've used it on Linux and the usage pattern was
different, so I don't think I can offer any useful configuration
suggestions for XFS.

If you haven't already done so, though, I highly suggest you enable the
Linux "Magic SysRq" key on the troublesome storage node, as well as enable
netdump(8).  Have the SysRq key guide printed out and available to your
operators, so they can get a task list, lock list, memory state, etc.
Might help Red Hat track down what's going on.

Tim
edu