Networker

Re: [Networker] Indexes disappearing .. [SOLVED]

2011-10-14 09:11:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Indexes disappearing .. [SOLVED]
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 09:11:18 -0400
> Is it possible that you have two set of index directories existing with
> similar names, e.g. a long name and a short name? If so, try mminfo
> queries using both versions, and check on the client ID.

No, but it was a client definition problem ...

The problem was caused by an alias. On my client PSSQL3, it had an alias
of PSFILE3. PSSQL1 had an alias of PSFILE1.

Both of these (PSSQL3, PSFILE3) are virtual clients resources of a MS
cluster. PSFILE3 used to be a physical client, which was replaced (months
ago) with a cluster resource with the same name and IP. EMC Tech Support
told us to add PSFILE3 as an alias of the other cluster resource, and that
would make it all Just Work.

This turns out to be a BAD idea ...  while the backups would work, the
index cleanup would remove all history later than the most recent backup.
And we never knew, since we hardly ever have to do restores of these
things ...

So now Tech Support had me create separate clients for PSSQL3 and PSFILE3
(with a combination of making temporary dummy client names, and re-using
the respective clientid, and then renaming accordingly).

Same issue existed for the other SQL client having the issue - PSSQL1 also
had an alias of PSFILE1 (same situation). Luckily, PSFILE1 got retired a
few weeks ago (nobody told me about that ..) so all I had to do to fix
that one was remove the PSFILE1 alias from PSSQL1. And so PSSQL1 is
working as it should.

And now I see multiple days history for each of the 3 clients (PSSQL1,
PSSQL3, PSFILE3). Granted, it only goes back to yesterday morning, when we
finally fixed the problem, but at least I see than just last night's
backup as restore choices (I see last night, and the night before).

So the moral of the story ... watch those aliases! And have a separate NW
client for every named cluster resource, regardless of what anyone tells
you will work ...