Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker and DD as disk backup device - index jobs hang after full device is freed

2011-10-07 02:46:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker and DD as disk backup device - index jobs hang after full device is freed
From: Eivind Antonsen <ean AT EXELLO DOT NO>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 08:46:15 +0200
Hi

Thanks for the info, but the solution is about DD device not auto recycling,
my problem is that index savesets not yet started hangs.

Any other suggestions ?

esg121250
Symptoms
https://solutions.emc.com/emcsolutionview.asp?id=esg121250

NetWorker 7.6.1
New install of Data Domain Boost devices
Device Configuration Wizard used to create the devices

NetWorker fails to expire savesets in DD boost disk devices automatically
after 30 day retention policy.

Savesets show up as recyclable.
Customer refes is running low on disk space on several Data Domain devices

Verified that all the volumes are set to Manual recycle by running:
mminfo -r volume,state,volflags -q volume=<volume_label>

Cause
Device Configuration Wizard silently creates all the volumes as Manual
instead of Automatic recycle which is the traditional default option.
Bug in Device Configuration Wizard wich doesn't event ask for Manual of Auto

Resolution
NW128046 - New Device Wizard labeling new volumes as manually_recyclable
Expexted fix in Cumulative Package

Workaround:
Unmount the volume and manually change Recycle to Auto. Then run nsrim -X
Notice that when right click on a volume from NMC - Media windows - Volumes
- and select Recycle the pre-selected option is Auto but it doesn't mean
that this is the actual status of the volume. To verify volume status it is
recommended to run mminfo command

Workaround:
Unmount the volume and manually change Recycle to Auto. Then run nsrim -X
Notice that when right click on a volume from NMC - Media windows - Volumes
- and select Recycle the pre-selected option is Auto but it doesn't mean
that this is the actual status of the volume. To verify volume status it is
recommended to run mminfo command

Regards,
Eivind Antonsen