Networker

Re: [Networker] Confused - Networker Module for MS Apps is the successor to NW Module for SQL, and more?

2011-10-05 13:37:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Confused - Networker Module for MS Apps is the successor to NW Module for SQL, and more?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 13:37:27 -0400
> Don't use NMM! It uses the SQL VSS Writer which does not support
> transaction log backups, something every SQL DBA wants.
>
> Start with NMSQL, which will merge into NMM 2.4 in 1H 2012

So NMSQL will be going away, then, to be replaced by NMM, next year?

Should NMM be used to backup AD? Or should I just continue to use NW
7.6.2? Luckily, we've never had to do a full AD restore, or even restore a
DC before. Are we fully covered by only using the "regular" NW 7.6.2.3 on
our DCs?

discontinued,
> and that I should be transitioning all my SQL servers over to use the NW

> Modules for MS Applications?
>
> The part I find confusing is that the description says:
>
> The EMC(r) NetWorker(r) Module for Microsoft Applications release
> 2.3 (NMM) uses Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)
> technology to provide backup and recovery services for:
> ? Filesystems
> ? Application data for the following Microsoft applications:
> ? SQL
>
> That mention of "filesystems" is what's confusing me, I guess. The
regular
> NW User client program understands filesystems, too. I would think that
> the NMM would for specific types of applications only (like the SQL,
> Oracle, etc, listed in the description). But it also says "Active
> Directory" as one of it's applications. (yes, AD is based on an
LDAP-like