Networker

Re: [Networker] adv_file volume Mode: set as "Appendable" should set to "Recyclable" to allow recover space?

2011-10-04 09:18:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] adv_file volume Mode: set as "Appendable" should set to "Recyclable" to allow recover space?
From: SUBSCRIBE NETWORKER Sree <dalsc11 AT CELANESE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 09:17:48 -0400
If you create ADV_FILE device with the AFTD device wizard in Networker
7.6.1., by default it appears to set the device state for "manual"
recycle. This means: savesets are marked as "recyclable" but never removed
(even if you attemp to manually run nsrim -X to clean-up your
expired/recyclable savesets).

This change threw us off guard, and checking in nsradmin and the
previously mentioned mminfo -mv amdalbu2.sw.czds.bz.001 helped us figure
this change in behavior.

We tested in our PoC environment, we could test this change. First unmount
the volume amdalbu2.sw.czds.bz.001. Then:

 Volumes -> Disk volumes -> amdalbu2.001 ., Right Click,
        pick "Recycle" and set mode to Auto

Now mount the volume back again, check its "state" flags:

D:\> mminfo -mv amdalbu2.sw.czds.bz.001
 state volume    written  (%)  expires   read  mounts capacity  volid
next type
      ambu2.001   29 TB 100%    manual 1250 GB    22      0 KB
9493947       0 adv_file

Manual "M" recycle mode is now not set. Now run nsrim -X, to clean and
reclaim space on expired/recyclable savesets.

Now lets come back to main discusson: This space/saveset reclamation used
to work, but somewhere after we moved to 7.6.1 on new sites, we started
seeing this problem. Why we are in need to make this saveset/space
reclamation? We have one D2D model device., which has design limitation of
25000 files/share. So, with 10 weeks of retention, and about 100 savesets
a day, we often reach 25K files+directories (count) limit soon after 12+
weeks. With device mode went to "M" manual-recycle mode, obviously,
savesets are never cleaned-up afterwards, thus reaching this 25K design-
limit on that NAS-Share.

Re: "After you replicate this offsite, how do you plan to recover the
data?"

If we encounter D2D device failure: umount it, mount the Replication Share
over intranet, we can recover a saveset or two.

But, if we are looking for total DR scenario - we got our plate full of
tasks. We got design along the lines of:
        Have our spare D2D or USB-disk device in main Data Center.
        Mount Replication Share, scan to local Networker server the volume
        We don't have BMR in-place, so all we do is rebuild server, and
restore/recover application/user data.
        Copy necessary savesets to reconstruct clients data to D2D or USB-
device (depending on size)
        Now, rebuild Networker server at the site, and scan this data-in.

Thank you for quick and great response!

Sree