Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker supporting Mac Lion? (and help fight diabetes)

2011-09-23 12:38:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker supporting Mac Lion? (and help fight diabetes)
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:33:43 +0000
Mike,

I just tried the latest Mac NetWorker client on the latest Mac OS X 10.7.2 beta
build with a backup to a Data Domain system.

At first, nsrexecd refused to start, but the message it left in my Mac's log
file explained exactly why it wouldn't start. You need to edit the /etc/hosts
file on the Mac client to enable the ipv6 local host entry (which is there, but
commented out). After I made that change and manually restarted nsrexcd on my
Mac, I was able to back up my "Downloads" directory as a test. It is 6GB in
size. I then recovered roughly 1GB worth of files. A "diff" of the recovered
files showed no difference between the original and the recovered files.

Also, the command to manually start the NetWorker Mac client in the
installation guide is incorrect. To start nsrexecd, open a terminal window on
your Lion Mac and type the following command:

 sudo launchctl stop com.emc.NetWorker

The installation guide includes a path on launchctl, which is incorrect.

Also, I strongly suggest that the best approach to running Lion in an
enterprise environment is to wait for at least the 10.7.2 update, if not
longer. There are known issues mapping CIFS folders on Lion 10.7.1 and a
problem integrating Lion clients into Windows Active Directory domains. I am
running the GA version of Lion at home and it is truly wonderful, but running
it now on any Mac that is used for business-critical work would be a mistake.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

On another subject, I am trying to raise money to help fight diabetes through
the American Diabetes Association's annual Step Out to Fight Diabetes
walkathon. The walkathon in which I participate is next Saturday and I am well
below my $1,000 annual fundraising goal. If anyone would like to support me in
my effort to raise money to find a cure for diabetes, please click on
<http://main.diabetes.org/goto/StanHorwitz> to make a donation. A donation in
any amount would be welcome. If you would like to donate in currency other than
United States dollars, you can do so via PayPal by submitting a payment to me
via my PayPal account stan.horwitz AT gmail DOT com and then I will use my
credit card to make a donation in the same amount (after the currency exchange
is calculated) in your name and attribute it to my fundraising total. If you go
the PayPal route, please send me a mail privately to let me know. Thanks.