Networker

[Networker] How to mark a tape full?

2011-09-10 01:16:19
Subject: [Networker] How to mark a tape full?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 22:15:48 -0700
Gents,

Let me clarify some issues here:
  - The 100% value is reached when the amount of data written to the tape hits
the "Volume default capacity" which is indirectly selected with the drive type.
  - Since NW 5.0 or 6.0 (don't remember exactly) NW will stop calculation when
100% has been reached.
  - However, due to (client site) data compression and data type, you may be
able to write much more data to the tape.
  - Consequently, setting a media to full prematurely will most likely result
in a higher number of tapes needed.
  - Save set and media retention are things which are happening in the media
database, no matter what status the media is in or whether it is accessisble.
  - George has correctly listed the 4 conditions tp prevent NW from
automatically recycling a tape.
       My personal preference is to use the write protect the tape as this will
work on the hardware and for all software.