Networker

Re: [Networker] RFE LGTsc31666

2011-09-08 14:49:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] RFE LGTsc31666
From: Eugene Vilensky <evilensky AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:46:00 -0500
Thanks for the offlist replies, filing a support case seems easy enough.

I don't suppose I could kindly ask the customers of this list to file their
request for RFE: LGTsc31666.

Without the ability to select from multiple VSS providers, I find NetWorker
defaults to the hw provider of our SAN.  If we don't have enough reservation
for the NW initiated snapshot, the NetWorker backup fails.

According to the Admin Guide, what I'm this isn't even supported even when
there is enough snapshot reserve:

“The NetWorker client does not currently support hardware providers for
backup operations. Only software providers are currently supported. If you
are using a hardware provider, perform one of the following workarounds as
appropriate:

• ◆  Uninstall the hardware providers.

• ◆  Migrate any data that is backed up by the NetWorker client to a disk
LUN (Logical Unit Number), such as C:\, that is not controlled by a hardware
provider. In this way, the NetWorker client will backup all data using the
software provider. “

I can get it to skip over the hw provider by disabling all of the hw
provider-related services, but this generates a lot of System Event Log
errors, but it does result in a fallback to the VSS software provider. and
what looks like a successful backup.  Right now I'm looking at a Pre and
Post script to disable the hw provider for the duration of the NetWorker
backup, but this is ugly as Splunk flags our event log errors.

Thank you,
Eugene