Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset

2011-08-17 10:23:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:20:28 -0400
Thierry Faidherbe <thierry.faidherbe AT forem DOT be> wrote on 08/17/2011
09:08:46 AM:

> From: Thierry Faidherbe <thierry.faidherbe AT forem DOT be>
> To: 'EMC NetWorker discussion' <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>,
> 'Michael Leone' <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
> Date: 08/17/2011 09:09 AM
> Subject: RE: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset
>
> Just started playing with 762 (Installed a temp server on Win7 x64).
> As setup, my boot disk, the internal laptop one, and 2 USB HDDS.
> One USB HDD with data and some portable apps not started by services,
> on the second hdd, an afd file device. Laptop boots without any usb disk
> attached.
> So, quite a simple test system. 30GB used of 320 GB
>
> I started a DISASTER_RECOVERY backup and my 1TB USB HDD#1 is being saved
> as part of DISASTER_RECOVERY saveset (OSSR_<letter>) ...
> ... Completely unexpected as nothing from OS is located on HDD#1 ...

Yes, that's what I noticed ...

> Now, does it take blocks or files ?
> if blocks, DR size is 320GB + 1TB. -> 1.32TB
> if files, DR size is 30+890GB -> 920 GB.
> -> in both cases, cannot backup sys disk only of my laptop
>
> (yes, you will say disconnect your HDD but this means that we will
> have to unmap our hdds for taking DR backups ...)
>
> This means NSR 762 Disaster Recovery act as simple as WDR does,
> taking vss backup of any HDD it consider as critical.

In my case, "any HDD" apparently means "every HDD", system HDD and all
others in the system. So it tries to backup *all* the contents of every
drive as part of the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset, and then goes on to the
saveset directive of the job ... which is FULL for all volumes. Result is
*2* complete FULL backups being attempted, from what I can see. And so I
need AFTD disk space equal to at least *twice* the total disk space in the
client ...

Which seems .... not quite right ... to me ....

> The way used to define "critical" is another story.
>
> I hoped nsr762 would solve Win2008/208R2/7 dr backups
> but I think we are as far as nowhere...

Here's what EMC said to me:

Components of the DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ save set
The new DISASTER_RECOVERY:\ save set encapsulates all of the critical
volumes that are required to provide complete Windows DR capabilities. The
disaster recovery backup also creates save sets for each critical volume.
The critical volume save sets are named OSSR_driveletter where driveletter
is the drive letter. For example, if drives C and D were identified as
critical drives, they would be listed as OSSR_C and OSSR_D.
If the critical volume is on a mount point, then the mount point name will
also be included in the save set name. For example, if a critical volume
is mounted on F:\mnt_point, then the save set name would be
OSSR_F_mnt_point.