Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset

2011-08-17 09:09:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.6.2 and the DISASTER_RECOVERY: saveset
From: Thierry Faidherbe <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:08:46 +0200
Just started playing with 762 (Installed a temp server on Win7 x64).
As setup, my boot disk, the internal laptop one, and 2 USB HDDS.
One USB HDD with data and some portable apps not started by services,
on the second hdd, an afd file device. Laptop boots without any usb disk
attached.
So, quite a simple test system. 30GB used of 320 GB

I started a DISASTER_RECOVERY backup and my 1TB USB HDD#1 is being saved
as part of DISASTER_RECOVERY saveset (OSSR_<letter>) ...
... Completely unexpected as nothing from OS is located on HDD#1 ...
Now, does it take blocks or files ?
if blocks, DR size is 320GB + 1TB. -> 1.32TB
if files, DR size is 30+890GB -> 920 GB.
-> in both cases, cannot backup sys disk only of my laptop

(yes, you will say disconnect your HDD but this means that we will
have to unmap our hdds for taking DR backups ...)

This means NSR 762 Disaster Recovery act as simple as WDR does,
taking vss backup of any HDD it consider as critical.
The way used to define "critical" is another story.

I hoped nsr762 would solve Win2008/208R2/7 dr backups
but I think we are as far as nowhere...

?????

Th

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE
Backup/Storage & System Management

LE FOREM
Département des Systèmes d'Information
Direction Infrastructure

Boulevard Tirou, 104  Tel:    +32 (0)71/206730
B-6000 CHARLEROI      Mobile: +32 (477)/995319
                      Fax:    +32 (0)71/206199
BELGIUM               Mail : Thierry.faidherbe<at>forem.be