Networker

Re: [Networker] Error backing up DISASTER_RECOVERY: on Win2008 client

2011-08-12 13:00:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Error backing up DISASTER_RECOVERY: on Win2008 client
From: michael.jones2 AT EMC DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:00:08 -0400
Other customers have seen this issue as well, here are some additional
suggestions we have seen from Microsoft. Since this is a Microsoft issue and
the possible fixes noted below are from Microsoft Support, we encourage you to
discuss the issue with Microsoft.

Method One
-----------
When working another customer we discovered an issue with the System Writer not
being available.  Microsoft engineer supplied these steps to fix it.

# Please run following command to set default permissions explicitly on the
COM+ Event System service.
{{{
sc sdset eventsystem
D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;SU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
}}}
# Then restart COM + Event System service in "services.msc".
# Try to query the vss writers again to see if the "system writer" appeared.

Method Two
----------
This is another method we have seen suggested to fix the problem.

System Writer is launched as a part of the Cryptography service (cryptsvc). If
that service fails to launch, System Writer will not show up in the 'vssadmin
list writers' list.

The following is reported for Windows 2008 System Writer (after some recent
updates were installed?) See the link:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/bb760434-de80-4cb6-ae9e-bd253e4b037c

Microsoft techs suggested the following workaround:

Overwrite WinSxS permissions as follows:

Takeown /f %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\* /a icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.*
/grant "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX)"
icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant "NT Service\trustedinstaller:(F)"
icacls %windir%\winsxs\filemaps\*.* /grant BUILTIN\Users:(RX)

Stop and start Cryptographic service

net stop cryptsvc
net start cryptsvc

Verify "System Writer" showed up in list of writers using "vssadmin list
writers"