Networker

[Networker] Backing up open files in a Win2008 cluster

2011-07-28 09:48:58
Subject: [Networker] Backing up open files in a Win2008 cluster
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:45:30 -0400
I have a Win2008 cluster that is one of my main file shares. And sometimes
files are not backed up because they are in use (most likely left open by
a user). I thought that VSS (which can not be disabled for Win2008
clients) allowed for backing up open files, by taking a snapshot (whether
open or not), and then NW does its backup from that snapshot.

There used to be an open file manager addon that took care of that for NW,
IIRC (it's been a long time). What should I be doing to make sure I get
these files backed up?

(as an aside, VSS is a real pain. I will get notifications like "VSS
Backup or Restore is not in the correct state for the operation, or the
writer is not in the correct state..". And if I do absolutely nothing...
the next night it will run fine. I don't touch anything, I don't reset
anything, I don't restart anything. It just magically Goes Away ...)

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM