Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage; MORE

2011-07-18 15:23:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on migrating a large (2TB) AFTD storage; MORE
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 15:23:52 -0400
OK, so this past Sat I backed up everything from the 2 drives of the old
server, to the AFTD disk on the new server, and then cloned to tape.
Here's what I found:

Total size just about 2.2TB. There was one drive of approx 400G, and 1
drive of approx 1850G.

*Never* use the ALL saveset directive on something this large. :-) I made
a new client entry (so I could still have the old one, in case I needed to
instead of explicitly enumerating all the folders I wanted. The ALL does
things sequentially, I think - after 13 hours, I still had close to a TB
to be written to disk, much less cloned.

So I killed the job; edited the client entry to explicitly list every top
level folder; and started it back up again. I'm sure someone will provide
the name of this sort of parallel streamed backup, but I'm drawing a
blank. Anyway, the upshot was that after 5 hours, the 400G drive was done
writing to disk, and about 500G of the 1.8TB drive was done writing to
disk - an improvement. In fact, the only thing still backing up was the
user folders (understandably).

The 1.8TB drive finished writing to disk in about 15 hours total. Total
cloning time was approx 10 hours to LTO4 tape.

Total size of the non-user folder portions of all that is 833G from 2
drives in about 5 hours written to disk, with 1.3TB of user files written
to disk in about 15 hours.

Tomorrow I will do a test restore of everything except user folders to a
drive on the new file server. That will tell me how long it will take to
recover that 830G of data.

This week I will do differential backups of the user folders to disk, and
let the differentials of the non-user files go straight to tape. Then, on
Fri, I will clear out the non-user folders backup on disk (leaving only
the user folders still on AFTD disk). Then do a differential of user
folders to disk, and a FULL of non-user files, to disk. No cloning to
tape.

So Sat morning I should have a FULL backup of non-user files made the
night before, and a week's worth of a FULL and differentials of user files
(the AFTD disk is 4.5TB, plenty big enough). I will do a redirected
recover of the non-user files to disk (2 source drive letters to 1 target
drive letter).

I will unpresent the drive with the user folders from the old file server,
and re-present to the new file server; no recover needed. And I still will
have the week's worth of user file backups still on AFTD disk, in case of
catastrophe.

And then I just delete the non-user files from the user files disk, after
the redirected recover of non-user files finishes.